I think it would be pretty safe to assume that the attackers knew the victim
-- your average criminal may not be especially bright, but the middle of a
park where 2- or 300 people are hanging out probably isn't a likely spot for
a random mugging.

Unfortunately, I think it's also pretty likely that at least some of the
other people hanging out at the basketball court could identify the
attackers.

Kathleen