February 16, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Chiwoniso
Singer, songwriter, and mbira player

"When she unleashes her fabulous voice on a Shona melody today, she brings an 
assertiveness and style that no other female singer in Zimbabwe can match. One 
of the most compelling young voices in today's African music." – Banning Eyre, 
NPR

At Crossroads Music, 801 S. 48th St (in Calvary Church)

Tickets ($10-30) available online (www.crossroadsconcerts.org) and at the door 
until we sell out.

Zimbabwe's Chiwoniso performs entrancing and uplifting songs with ancient soul 
and modern spirit. Backed by the mesmerizing interlocking melodies of the 
mbira, Chiwoniso's voice resounds with defiant strength and profound 
tenderness. With a sound that recalls the fire of Angelique Kidjo, the 
inspiration of Oliver Mtukudzi, the rebellion of Thomas Mapfumo and the soul of 
India.Aire, Chiwoniso is one of the most exciting talents in African music 
today.

"I am like a mirror." she declares . "I basically sing about what I see 
happening in the world. If someone comes up to me in the street to ask for 
money I'll sing about that. If people are jumping borders because their 
economic situation is too difficult, I'll sing about that. If the police are 
beating people up and intimidating them, I'll sing about that."

The daughter of musician and ethnomusicologist Dumisani Maraire, Chiwoniso grew 
up in both Washington State and Zimbabwe and learned to love Stevie Wonder, the 
Rolling Stones, Aretha Franklin, and Mozart as well as the songs and 
instrumental music of her Shona family. Since releasing her first album in 
1995, she has become known for her superb voice, confident interpretation, and 
uncompromising yet empathic lyrics, all backed by an all-star band and held 
together by the music of Zimbabwe's national instrument, the mbira.

Sound samples, individual bios, and tickets are available at 
http://www.crossroadsconcerts.org

Reply via email to