Last week Fran Byers sent a note to the UC Purple list, which I  re posted
to UC Neighbors, about a crime & safety meeting last Thursday, the  3rd
Thursday of the month, held by Lt. Brian Mc of the 18th Police  District.  The
meeting was at Calvary at 48th & Baltimore at 6 p.m.;  all were welcome.
There is going to be a meeting EVERY 3rd Thursday at  that location, they said.

Only a few of us turned out, and we talked informally with Lt.  McBride,
who was very interested in hearing our concerns.  One neighbor  (45th &
Regent) reported finding a UPS package, addressed to his wife, on  the floor at
second hand store in the area (not the Second Mile).  His  wife hadn't
received it.  Here is an update on that which Lt. McBride  sent to Fran Byers
today:

"At our meeting last Thursday, it was brought to my attention  about
someone taking packages from residents' doorsteps. I deployed  my
plainclothes officers to the area and a male was arrested on  Friday
(4/22/11)after taking packages from two properties. I would  appreciate
it if you could pass this info along to  residents.
Thanks,
Lt. McBride"

Lt. McBride explained to us that the 18th District has been broken into two
 sections, with the eastern section, up to 50th St., being handled from the
 office where he works, 3942 Chestnut St.  The office phone number is
215-243-0667, or you can email him at _brian@universitycity.org_
(mailto:br...@universitycity.org) .  I  think the quick arrest of the package
thief makes
it clear that we should  all be reporting every little thing that happens in
the area - the person who  brought this up at the meeting hadn't thought to
report it beforehand, but by  reporting it to Lt. McBride on Thursday, he
helped get the thief caught, and  hopefully discouraged from this kind of
nuisance crime.

Melani

Melani Lamond, Associate Broker
Urban & Bye,  Realtor

3529 Lancaster Ave.
Philadelphia, PA  19104
cell phone 215-356-7266
office phone 215-222-4800, ext. 113
I-Fax  215-525-3460
Greater Philadelphia Association  of Realtors awards
Diamond award for over $8 million in sales, and
ALL SIX  of the West Philadelphia awards

This  e-mail is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it is
addressed  and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or
otherwise exempt  from disclosure.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the
intended  recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the
message to the  intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any
dissemination,  distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly
prohibited.  If  you have received this communication in error, please
immediately
notify us by  replying to the original message at the listed e-mail address.
Thank  You.