From:  "krf...@aol.com" <krf...@aol.com>
Date:  Sat, 14 May 2011 08:14:55 -0400 (EDT)
To:  UnivCity listserv <UnivCity@list.purple.com>
Subject:  Re: [UC] FW:  In catchment or not, Penn Alexander will be forced
to turn new ...

In a message dated 5/13/2011 6:25:15 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wil.p...@comcast.net writes:

> Ostensibly, any public school who receives funding from taxpayers should
> never be able to turn away applicants who reside within the school's
> neighborhood boundaries.
Of course, economic reality rears its ugly head.

And one of the sad economic realities in Philadelphia (probably lots of
other places, too) is that the management of the school district is, er,
"profligate" might be a polite term although I can think of others. Dr
Ackermann and her cohorts spend other people's money like it's, well, other
people's money. And even by cutting the numbers reportedly being laid off
from the central administration of the school district (ostensibly without
any negative (and likely positive) impact in whatever passes for
productivity up there, I understand it will still be top-heavy. Further
firing people who sit at their computers and play solitaire and battleships
all day for lack of any real work doesn't affect the culture of entitlement
at the higher levels.

The school district may not have some of the personality problems that
afflicted the Housing Authority, but there are obvious strong parallels.

I wish I were able to propose a practical solution. Certainly putting more
control in the hands of City Council would be -- if not a step from the
frying pan into the fire, than from the fire into the frying plan.

Cynically yours,

Al Krigman