Tony,

> I also noted Roundup's continuous availability to private customers, at a
> neighborhood supply store for your next-door neighbors' yards. You haven't yet
> written about how concerned you are about this bigger, ongoing use of Roundup
> in your neighborhood. Is it really Roundup you're concerned about, or
> something else?
>>
>  Are you arguing your private-sector neighbors should be free to use this
> chemical whenever they want, but the City of Philadelphia never should even
> once? You seem to have one rule for the public sector, another for the
> private.

Why is it necessary to look for hidden agendas and conspiracies?  Why isn¹t
the obvious answer enough?  Why the insistence on complicating this issue
so?  Why the hostility to what seems to me a very reasonable, valid concern
for Park users?

My four-year-old does not dig in the dirt in my next-door neighbors¹ yards.
He DOES dig in the dirt of Clark Park at least once a week.  Along with
hundreds of other children.  I kid you not, one of my son¹s absolute
favorite past-times is digging in the dirt.  So, what¹s in that dirt is of
great concern to me.  Tony, if you want to soak your backyard in gallons of
Roundup, knock yourself out.  My kid is not playing in your yard. Nor are
most members of the public. But a public park is by definition a public
space where many people, especially children, play.  Do I have one rule for
the public sector and one for the private?  Hell, yeah!  Damn right I do.
If what you are doing in your backyard does not affect me or anyone else,
then it¹s none of my business.  But it seems glaringly obvious to me that
the caretakers of a PUBLIC PARK should not be using chemicals on the grounds
of said park that are known or suspected health hazards.

Since becoming a mom I tend to view most issues first and foremost from that
perspective, but pet owners and park users who are simply concerned about
their own personal health may well have equally valid concerns, without
necessarily needing to launch a wholesale effort to ban Roundup globally.
To this extent Glenn is right ­ this is a straw man tactic.  When I was an
activist in the antiapartheid movement in college, opponents screamed - ³Why
aren¹t you opposing the oppression in the Soviet Union/China/Cuba???!!!²
When I organized for affordable housing, people screamed, ³Why aren¹t you
doing anything about those lazy deadbeat tenants/homeowners who don¹t take
care of their properties?² (Interestingly, no one ever blamed the lazy
deadbeat landlords, but that is another discussion.)  It¹s an effective
tactic ­ anyone who advocates on any issue is a hypocrite unless they
advocate on every issue.  It works to maintain the status quo ­ be quiet,
stop trying to change things or be subject to attack as a hypocrite for not
trying to change everything.

Then there is the fact that my next-door neighbors have not, to my
knowledge, trumpeted their desire to have the ³Greenest² yard on the block,
as opposed to the Nutter administration, which claims it wants a public
initiative to make Philadelphia a model Green city.  That includes urging
private individuals and corporations to do things like install green roofs
and water gardens, bike to work, etc.  The green roofs on the bus stops are
definitely very cool, but I think a better place to start would be stop
unnecessarily dumping toxic chemicals on public play spaces.  But maybe
that¹s just me.  But if my next-door neighbors were promoting themselves as
models of Greenness, and then I learned they were using Roundup ­ well, I
would have a chat with them about it.

Then there is the question of who is paying for the Roundup.  Both Glenn and
Wilma have made the point that this morass of Rec Department-UCD-FOCP
responsibility has made it very difficult for the casual observer to figure
out whom to hold accountable.  And I don¹t believe that that is completely
accidental. As a community organizer I trained the folks I worked with to
follow the money if they wanted to understand where the power lies (I also,
BTW, trained them to distinguish between public and private issues).  Mostly
due to laziness I¹m a bit confused about who paid for the Roundup.  For the
sake of discussion I¹ll approach it both ways.

I think, from what I¹ve read, FOCP raised the money for the Park A
renovations.  In which case, that money paid for the Roundup.  So, it seems
to me that that is an issue of public relevance ­ if community members/park
users contributed donations for the renovations, and those contributors
don¹t approve of spending their contributions on Roundup, then that is a
proper public issue.  It sounds to me that maybe even FOCP isn¹t thrilled by
the news.  If my next-door neighbor takes his/her own money and spends it on
Roundup to dump in his/her yard ­ it¹s less a public concern.

If the City paid for the Roundup, then it is absolutely the business of any
taxpayer.  And even if Tony West paid for the Roundup, unless Glenn is right
and the parks were privatized while I slept ­ Clark Park is still
publicly-owned property, owned by the citizens and taxpayers, and what goes
on there is a valid concern of any citizen taxpayer.

Yes.  I have one rule for the public sector and one for the private, and I¹m
not at all ashamed to say so.

I am frankly astounded that I need to educate someone who promotes himself
as a journalist, community organizer and civic leader on the distinction
between public and private issues.  I¹m also rather baffled ­ do you truly
view FOCP¹s proper role as defending the Rec Department against the
community?

It is a given that it is much easier to affect issues at a local level.  If
people feel that they can influence policy at Clark Park, but maybe don¹t
feel up to the battle of persuading the EPA to ban Roundup nationwide ­
that¹s fine.  All politics are local.  If citizens throughout the world
advocated locally for Roundup bans in our local parks ­ that could be enough
to make change.  Probably not.  My impression is Roundup is mostly used
agriculturally.  But that¹s another battle.

Finally, I really, truly, was not going to bring this up, I was going to
leave it be.  But now that my Irish is up, I leave you all with this ­ the
irony is just too much :-) -

http://www.philadelphiaspeaks.com/forum/west-philadelphia-university-city/23
369-poison-ivy-clark-park.html

Kimm