From:  Elizabeth F Campion <campio...@juno.com>
Date:  Thu, 14 Jul 2011 20:20:20 GMT
To:  UnivCity listserv <UnivCity@list.purple.com>
Subject:  Re: [UC] FW:  You know you live in West Philly if . . .

Dear Neighbors,

I consider myself a "true West Philadelphia" and a big fan of Liz Spikol.
Liz has written, with great candor, about bouts with illness, features of
the drugs she has taken, and life on the outside.  At times, she gave a
voice and clarity to things I was guessing about my beloved sister Maggie.
I enjoyed her 'list"/article and recognized everything on it.

One of my favorite things about West Philly is its ability to be inclusive
and/or turn things topsy-turvy.
I think Liz caught a little of the flavor of the "PC" and even some of the
'reverse class-ism' that runs through WP.

West Philly is often so far ahead of the curve that we sometimes don't get
full credit for home-grown ideas.
Some examples:  The Art Deco movement may have started here, moved to Paris
and than back to New York.
Movies were made here before Hollywood.
The Fresh Prince and Liz Lemon (okay she's so far west she's suburban), made
it here first.
Penn's Eniac was a precursor to Silicon Valley.
One of the geniuses behind Artificial Intelligence still quietly thinks
great thoughts from his home on 48th Street.

Like Bill Davis, I could not remember a few things on Wilma's list.
And like so many of Wilma's contributions, her list reminds me that even in
West Philly, there have always been divisions between "Catholics, Publics
and Privates".
People like me, who attended St. Francis and West Catholic, grew with
different experiences from the "Publics", (students at Lea and Wilson), or
the "Privates" (at Pillar of Fire or St. Leonard's).
There are still many different experiences based upon Skin Color, choice of
Worship (or not), Gender preference and Abilities (or lack there of).
When I was named a National Merit Finalist and won a Scholarship to PENN, I
learned there was a big gap in the opportunities offered to the students of
the "Ivies".  Even as an adult, I realize my IQ, decades of experience and
almost encyclopedic memory of the homes and neighbors of CC/UC/WP are not
always a match for a trust fund or connection.

One of my favorite things about being in West Philly is the number of great
thinkers, good communicators, writers and healers who fill our streets,
parks and gathering places.  I love the amount of learning I absorb just
listening to people I am permitted to call friends.  And I especially like
when the brilliant children of this neighborhood are the ones who open my
eyes to new thoughts and experiences.

BTW: Based upon my childhood, I think the most common early question, was,
"What's your home Parrish?", so my list would include, You know your in West
Philly if you describe your neighborhood with a Saints name.  I know this
will not resonate with many of my friends, but it is my experience as
a"true" West Philadelphian.

Best!
Liz