In a message dated 8/12/2011 5:03:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mag...@mcgillsociety.org writes:

At one  time Penn DID provide "cheap" parking, nominally only for faculty
and staff,  and maybe even students -- don't recall.
    1.  If Penn people were as ecologically-oriented as they profess to be,
they'd  take public transportation rather than drive in from the suburbs
and park on  the streets in our neighborhood. The situation is almost enough
to convince me  to get the signatures needed to apply for permit parking on
my block.
    2.  Many of us will remember when the idea of a shelter for homeless
women  with young children at the former Nursing home in the 4500 block of
Chestnut  was quashed. Penn then proposed to lease the building as a "LIFE"
center  -- kind of an outpatient nursing home -- to be run by the school of
nursing.  Many of the folks in the area liked the concept, but the issue of
parking was  raised because the building in question had only a few spaces. The
Penn people  said (I remember it clearly... it was at one of Glenn Bryant's
"First  Thursday" nosh-and-pander meetings) they wouldn't be jamming the
curbs with cars because a) most of the "clients" would be arriving and
departing by LIFE vans, and b) most of the Penn people working there would be
coming up from Campus and, being the good citizens for whom Penn is famous,
they'd use SEPTA. Well, point "a)" seems to be true enough. But point "b)"
definitely isn't. It used to be easy to find parking spaces on the
surrounding  blocks (I know because I have a building there); now it's
virtually
impossible  during daytime hours. Were the people who made the statement just
being naive,  disingenuous, or (dare I suggest) both?
    3.  That park-n-ride (or whatever it's called) at the University
exit/entrance  of the Expressway is fairly economical. You pay for a space
there
by the  month and they take you to and pick you up from various locations
around  the campus and the hospitals. Of course, why pay anything when you can
park  free in a neighborhood where you neither live nor work -- a
neighborhood full  of those slovenly, despicable, no-account, unwashed,
tattooed,
morally  corrupt renters and others of the benighted classes?
Alan  Krigman
KRF Management
215-349-6500, fax 215-349-6502
_www.krf.icodat.com_ (http://www.iconworldwide.com/krf)