In a message dated 12/14/2011 5:07:20 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
kallena...@msn.com writes:

I agree  with the business owners who are concerned about corporate chains
taking root here.  My concern is that franchises can afford to pay high
rents that would price out   those businesses who don't  own their buildings.

I remember how South Street was back  in the 1970s and 1980s before
McDonalds, The Gap and what have you came  in--TLA Theater, Book Trader, all
kinds
of little boutiques,  eateries, galleries-- fun places to go to with stuff
you didn't see in  the malls. But once the corporate entities took root,
gradually  the sole proprietors were forced to go elsewhere... and now when you
go  to South Street what you see are a lot of the same stuff you see in the
average mall, and a lot of vacancies.
This can be a problem, but it's not how the free market works. And  I'm
deeply committed to free markets as I am opposed to top-down planning and
proposals.

That being said -- if the people who live in this  neighborhood, and who
patronize the businesses on Baltimore Ave, really wanted  the kind of
for-the-masses crap that's dished out in places like Subway, the  Baltimore Ave
merchants would have gone belly-up long ago because everyone would  be going
over to Sansom Commons and other places owned by Penn where the  franchises and
chains abound.

My personal feeling is that we're more  sophisticated -- in our own ways --
than that.

There has, indeed, been a high business failure  rate on Baltimore Ave. But
I think it's because too many people start up there  without doing their
marketing homework and no sense of what retailing,  especially food service,
is all about. It's more likely that the people with the  Subway franchise
will do poorly than that entrepreneurs who really know the  neighborhood will.

And, as a little hint about this -- read between  the lines of the article
in the Review. The people who want to open the Subway  didn't even bother to
show up at the SHCA meeting, but sent their  representatives. They haven't
a clue about who we are, and don't think it's  worth bothering to find out.

Alan Krigman
KRF Management, ICON/Information Concepts  Inc
211 S 45th St, Philadelphia PA 19104-2918
215-349-6500, fax  215-349-6502
krf...@aol.com or  al.krig...@krf.icodat.com