Begin forwarded message:

From: Valerie Ross <vcer...@gmail.com>
Date: January 1, 2012 3:09:13 PM EST
Subject: [UCNeighbors] Clark Park and Salting

Dear Neighbors,

With global warming, who knows if we're going to even have snow, but
in the event we do, I hope that you will join me in seeking an end to
the excessive use of salt around Clark Park.  Last year there were
literally piles of salt on sidewalks around Clark Park.  Salt was
frequently and heavily used in advance of snow (in a few cases, it
never even snowed but nonetheless the sidewalks were thick with salt,
which remained the entire winter and then, of course, washes into our
sewage system where it poisons our water supply and, highly corrosive,
eats into the infrastructure.

Why should we stop using de-icing salt?

1)  It causes very painful burns to the feet of wildlife and pets.
Several dogs ended up howling in pain, with bloody paws, last year,
including my own.  When they try to lick off the salt, the animals
compound the problem by burning their tongues and ingesting this
poisonous substance (de-icing salt is highly toxic).

2)  It poisons our water and also poisons available drinking water for
wildlife -- those water puddles created by de-icing salt are highly
toxic.  De-icing salt also poisons the ground, killing vegetation.  On
top of generally poisoning the food and water supply for wildlife,
animals and particularly birds accidentally ingest the salt directly
since it mingles with their food supply on the ground.

3)  De-icing salt is not only highly toxic, it is also highly
corrosive.  It destroys our streets, leading to giant potholes that
are such a feature of Philadelphia. Note that many snowbelt states and
nations have stopped or dramatically reduced the use of salt because
it's so destructive and expensive and of dubious effectiveness in
terms of ending slipperiness, given the melt/freeze cycle it generates
(as well as the sinkholes).

The most effective response to snow is to shovel it immediately and
then where and when appropriate to use sand, ashes, gravel, cat
litter, lava, etc., which are re-usable and environmentally friendly,
and do not create the slippery cycle of melt/and re-freeze typical of
de-icing salts.

I hope that you will join me in encouraging Clark Park and USP to be
kind to pets, wildlife, and the environment this year and replace de-
icing salt with timely shoveling and sand or gravel.

Valerie Ross
Regent Sq.