I've also seen a hummingbird: last week, in my tiny backyard container garden! Very exciting! I'm considering making a hummingbird feeder in the hopes of attracting more appearances. The regular bird feeder attracts a variety of small birds, as well as squirrels, which is great (and the cats - indoor only - love the entertainment). I see cardinals occasionally, but they seem more timid about coming into the yard to feed.

Alas, as I walk around the neighborhood I see so many flower gardens left to wither in the dry heat. Try to keep your gardens and young trees watered.... for the sake of your garden as well as the wildlife it supports! Lots of resources on the web for creating a wildflower garden for birds and butterflies. And it's easy enough to make your own feeders and provide fresh water. ***Just make sure to keep feeders at a safe distance from any free-roaming cats outdoors. Unfortunately, we lose many birds to cats on the streets (whether stray or indoor-outdoor kitties!).

enjoy the rain!