The board of the West Philly Coalition for Neighborhood Schools (WPCNS) is
saddened by the announced
proposal<http://www.philasd.org/announcements/FMP_summary_of_recommendations.docx>for
closure of eight neighborhood schools in our area. We are particularly
concerned by the inclusion of five neighborhood elementary schools:
Alexander Wilson Elementary in Spruce Hill, Morton McMichael Elementary in
Mantua, Josephy Leidy Elementary in Parkside, Samuel Gompers Elementary in
Overbook and Overbrook Elementary. We believe that every child should be
able to walk to school and that a neighborhood can be strengthened by its
elementary school and an elementary school by its neighborhood.
Given that these closures are to impact the 2013-2014 school year, the
board of WPCNS is also concerned by the late timing of this announcement
and that the School Reform Commission (SRC) has suspended the section of
the Philadelphia school code requiring it to hold individual school
hearings at least three months before a final decision is made. We
understand that Superintendent William R. Hite Jr. plans to hold a series
of community meetings regarding the closures and that the SRC plans to hold
still school hearings though not within the three month timeframe. We
intend to hold them to these commitments. Transparency, community inclusion
and the opportunity for school communities to make their cases in
opposition to closure are of the utmost importance. WPCNS will continue to
support the efforts of parents, teachers, students and neighbors to work to
make every school a great school.
- The WPCNS Board
Amara Rockar, President
Erin McLeary, Vice President