a few years ago, some helpful neighbors saw a possum on the areaway beside my
house, and thought it looked sick, so they trapped it under a basket or box of
some kind and brought it to my front steps...

I called animal control, and they came out pretty quickly--this was sometime
between 7 and 9 at night.  They looked at the critter and said, yeah--that’s a
possum all right--looks ok to us--and said they would take it and release it in
cobbs creek park.

I felt that was a pretty sensible response, although I’d rather the neighbors
had just left the critter alone...

(a few years before that, our beagle was spending a long time under a holly
tree at the back of our next door neighbors yard, so I finally went out to see
what she was doing in there.  I found a possum stuck halfway over an iron
fence--the kind about 3 feet tall with spikes that extend above the top rail...
 The critter had made it half way through but was too big to fit the rest of
the way.  Judging by the pile of droppings beneath it and the dogs behavior, it
had been there for several days.  I got a long 2x4, shoved it under the possums
hind quarters, lifted it, and eventually angled it over the fence and down onto
the other side.  It did not look in the least bit grateful....)

Do remember that “playing possum” is named after the actual behavior of these
critters...

Bill