From: LandB Sweitzmath <sweitzm...@gmail.com>
Date: August 30, 2014 10:49:40 PM EDT
To: "ucneighb...@googlegroups.com" <ucneighb...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [UCNeighbors] got figs?

Hello neighbors,

As many of you know, our son Evan's fig stand (think lemonade stand but with figs) has been quite a successful fundraiser for City Kitties over the years. Last year, with a little boost from Hollywood and Friends of Clark Park, he had an "official" stand in the park during a farmer's market -- and made it a real community effort by increasing his inventory (and thus the funds raised for City Kitties) with figs donated by other neighbors who have trees.

To add to the community spirit -- because what greater synergy than neighbors, figs, kitties, and locally-made artisan ice cream? -- Andy from Weckerly's Ice Cream generously offered to make a special edition batch of fig ice cream (swoon!), to be sold at Evan's fig stand, to benefit City Kitties.

But we've got a complication: the Polar Vortex. While we are relieved to report that our tree survived (touch-and-go there for a bit) and is even fruiting, it's about 1/3 of its 2013 size and popped its figs only a few weeks ago -- meaning that they likely won't ripen before the weather cools.

So my question, on behalf of Evan (and Andy) is this: do *you* have ripe (or close-to-ripe) figs on your tree? Do you know a neighbor who does? And if the answer to either of those questions is "yes," would you or your neighbor be interested in donating figs to a 2014 Evan's Figs fundraiser for City Kitties?

Please let us know! And even if we miss this year, I expect you'll see another email from us in 2015. Thanks!

Lisa