As I entered my house near 45th and Pine, a few days before Thanksgiving, I
was approached by an elderly gentleman, very upset, who was looking for his
car.  He asked if I had seen anyone towing on the block.  Since I had been out,
I couldn't say.  He assured me that he had not parked in an illegal spot, that
he had no outstanding tickets and that he had only left the car about an hour.
I suggested that it seemed like his only recourse was to call the police to see
whether it was towed or to put in a stolen car report.  It was indeed
mysterious and I felt very sorry for him. I suspect now that he too was a
victim of this outrageous scam.

I'm not surprised to hear about the tow truck driver hanging around 46th and
Walnut.  Last year I was broadsided by a taxi that failed to yield at 46th and
Sansom.  I was immediately surrounded by a gang of burly men who wanted to
"help" me by towing my car, telling me that it was not worth waiting for the
police to come and file a report. They were intimidating, made it more
difficult for me to do what I needed to do, and made an unpleasant experience
even worse.   They scurried when the police arrived.  I wonder what can be done
to get this behavior under control.

Mary