The "need to rescan at start" is due to a silly bug that Dan fixed.

Make sure you have the current libdbix-migration-perl from
http://tinyurl.com/nyhky

Then it won't need to rescan.   (Well, it will rescan once more.)

As for making it restart less often, that's caused by restarting to
rotate logs.  Look in /etc/logrotate.d and change the 'daily' line in
slimserver to 'weekly' and it will only do that once a week.

I am surprised you're seeing worse performance: on my p2/400, I was
surprised to see that even though scanning took ages to do (well it was
a slow machine :P) the split-scanner code was much much nicer for
interactivity... The kernel did a much better job of scheduling than
the server could do.

--
snarlydwarf