nicketynick wrote:
> Thanks for the tips so far - so should I switch to Redhat (or variant),
> or no?

I believe, IMHO, YMMV, and all that, that the most important reason to
select any distribution is that you have a buddy running it.
Having a friend that you can call when you get lost is priceless.
And when you get it all working, buy them a beer or two.

For that reason, my good geek friend used it, I use Mandriva.

It is derrived from RedHat, or at least had RedHat long ago in
its genealogy.

It has a nice GUI interface for nearly all administration,
called Mandriva Control Center (or mcc)

Many if not all of the distros have something similar.
And after the first week or so, you'll be sailing.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html