I think I have cracked the SSH problem.  Debian installs as a two stage
process.  Stage 1 to get a base system, stage 2 to install apps and
everything else after rebooting after stage 1.  What I failed to spot
is that you can run stage two in stage one by selecting

"baseconfig-udeb: run base-config from with debian-installer"  As one
of the expert installer options.  I knew it was a simple problem, but
being newbieish I missed this.

Having said this, I still have not completed the install as something
went wrong with the grub install, and it rebooted to the grub shell.
So there is still a bit of sorting out to do.

Still I am moving forward, and soon a new Slimserver will be born!!

Thanks you everyone for your help.  It is fantastic to be part of just
a great community.

Cheers

Steve

P.S. I will write up the install on this server.  Hopefully it might
help someone not make the same mistakes as me.

--
steve4586