Oh, yeah, and totally outside of Slimserver..

I have a laptop.  It's now 7 years old and sort of tempermental, but it
works for what I need it for (being able to login to servers at work
even if I am out of town... some day I will be able to have a real
vacation where I can toss the cellphone into the river...)

It used to crash.  Hard.  Total death.  I had to press the
secret-recessed-reset button, a power cycle would not bring it back.

Why?  Because it filled up.

It was spamming various logs with:

  evbug.c: Event. Dev: isa0060/serio0/input0, Type: 4, Code: 4, Value: 208
  evbug.c: Event. Dev: isa0060/serio0/input0, Type: 1, Code: 108, Value: 0
  evbug.c: Event. Dev: isa0060/serio0/input0, Type: 0, Code: 0, Value: 0

--------------------

No idea what it is complaining about, nor do I really care.  (It works
for what I need... the mousepad is ill, though, and it is probably
complaining about that...)

But when that filled up the logs, the system would die... and since
that has a cheap-and-dirty "two partitions, one for the system, one for
/home" setup, filling up /var meant /tmp was full.

When I changed it to stop logging that (they still show up in dmesg),
it behaved much better and hasnt crashed in months.

So, yes, filling up /tmp will kill things.

--
snarlydwarf