toby10 wrote:
> Hi pfarrell.  Well, I'm not against going the computer route.  I was
> just looking for the simplest, most idiot proof way of using SB3 on a
> daily basis.

Can't address the steering nut issue, but I have used old cast off PCs
since I got my first SB 1 (no G) years ago.

> If I did get a computer for this use:
> -  then I don't need to mess with Linux/Snoopy?  Just let WinXP run
> it?

Right. The SlimServer runs on nearly any computer. Mac, WIndoze, Linux,
BSD, etc

Now Linux runs better than XP on the same box for SlimServer, but
other than that, no worry

> -  Other than setup & config, the computer would just sit there as an
> NAS device would?  i.e.  No user input needed on computer to just play
> back radio & music files?

I never touch my Slimserver box. Its in the basement. One ran over a
year, the current one has been up only 14 dayes, untouched, because we
had a huge power outage.

> -  Would I need any sort of media connect type software?  Or just XP &
> SS?

Nothing else, just an OS and SlimServer

> I do have an extra laptop laying around:
> -  1 gz processor (but more like 600 mhz)
> -  512k memory (maxed out)
> -  WinXP SP2
> -  20 gb hd
> -  no RJ45, must use USB to RJ45 adapter
> Thoughts?

Try it, its free.
You'll need more disk, even the 600mHz cpu is enough, altho scans will
be slow -- I rarely add music, so I don't care about scan speed.

If you are really brave, put Linux on the laptop.
I'm typing this on an ancient Dell lattitude, with Mandriva.

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html