DLloyd wrote:
> The hardware I'm thinking of using for this is a Shuttle XPC Barebone
> PC (model SD37P2 V2), with a spare Intel Pentium D 830 Dual Core (3.0
> GHz) CPU that I have, probably 2 GB of 667 MHz memory, a cheap fanless
> video card (Radeon X1050), an Intel Intel PRO/1000 PT Desktop Adapter
> NIC, DVD-ROM drive (and floppy ?), and two Samsung SATA 300 500GB hard
> drives.
> Does this sound like a reasonable spec. for a Linux SlimServer ?
>
> Is 2 GB of memory sufficient ?
>
> And probably the most important question I have right now, which
> distribution of Linux should I be looking at running ?

First things first, this is way overkill for a SlimServer.
For years, I ran on a P3-500. My current system is a single AMD 1800 and
its is fine.

2GB is wonderful, but 1GB is probably enough. Now if you fill the whole
terabyte, too much is not enough.

Distro selection is religious. One you love I might hate. My number one
rule is find a buddy who likes a distro and will help for a beer or two.
Use that one. Buy your buddy a beer or two.

I have been using Mandriva, because my buddy used it years ago. I do not
recommend it, the Mandriva folks have made some packaging decisions,
like not including any developer tools by default, that make it harder
to install the SlimServer than it should be, and harder than on nearly
any other modern Linux (Ubuntu, Fedora, etc.).

--
Pat
http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimserver/slimsoftware.html