ChrisNY;238054 Wrote:
> If you truly don't need a GUI or other apps, then I would look into
> Ubuntu server.  I installed Slimserver on this and its currently been
> running for 38 days...Very stable.
>
> I installed it with minimal Linux knowledge with the assistance of this
> tutorial:
> http://www.debianadmin.com/ubuntu610-edgy-lamp-server-installation-with-screenshots.html

Thanks for the link to the tutorial. That was very helpful. I spent a
few hours installing and looking at Xubuntu as well as Ubuntu server,
which may have refined what I need a little bit. I really like the
Xubuntu auto-update, and I think that I will need a GUI and at least a
web browser since I'm going to run Music IP on the server and from my
research it appears that I have to install Music IP GUI first to
configure it to run headless. I don't want any productivity software,
media player, or image editing stuff on this build however. So a couple
of questions:
1) Can I install Ubuntu server, then add Xfce desktop with just firefox
(or even lighter browser)and auto update, without themes, screensavers,
games, productivity apps? If so, how do I do that?
2) Is Xfce a good choice for a really light desktop, or should I look
at something else?
3) Finally, should I look at other distros for what I want to do? Again
this is going to be a slimserver only. I won't be ripping on this
machine, so I will need samba so I can rip to this machine. Right now
the only plugin I really run is music ip, but I may add more in the
future.

Thanks for your help!
George

--