The developers can only support a limited number of platforms.

I've done a reasonable bit of work with ARM wrt AlienBBC and building
an Slimserver distribution but it seems you have run into a Debian
issue. I've had no problems with YAML::Syck on optware and my IPKG for
6.5.4 works on the NSLU2 as well as FSG3. It seems you have some Debian
specific issue that could be answered on a Debian/NSLU2 forum. I can't
replicate the issues.

Have you looked at this site - I don't understand Japanese and it is
for 6.5.0 but he/she indicates the steps for an Slimserver on
ARM/Debian.
http://nyaochi.sakura.ne.jp/squeezebox/index.php?SlimServer%2Finstall%2Fdebian
What is interesting is they fetch a specific deb for yaml_syck.

You should also check makerelease.pl to see what happen to the svn
checkout to make it into a deb distribution as you might have to apply
some of those steps.

--
bpa