Mark Lanctot;243619 Wrote:
> Well, as with any choice in life, what works for you may not work for
> me.
>
> Michael is pretty adamant that slimCD is not meant to be used
> full-time.  He believes it requires too much reconfiguration to be
> turned into a server.
>
> With regards to Ubuntu, if you want headless there's always the Server
> version.  And CC is totally headless.

Michael says not to use it full-time, but SlimCD has proven to be the
holy grail in my quest for the perfect music server. I have been
running it on my fanless and headless nano-ITX machine with a 750 GByte
drive for close to six months now. It is always on and playing all the
time. The system never has to be rebooted, but I have found that I have
to restart Slimserver once a month or so. That's not a big deal - I log
in via an ssh session from another machine in the house. I put more
flac files on it's drive using smb.

Maybe I don't remember what I had to go through now, but I don't think
it was all that difficult to get running.

I put six months of intensive use up against Michael's advice and
recommend it.

-Ron

--
Ron F.

*Squeezebox setup:* wireless SB3 -> CI Audio VDA.2 DAC + VAC.1 PSU
*Main rig:* NAD 7600 + NAD 2600A -> Phase Tech PC-6.5 speakers
*Headphone rig:* Headroom Max -> Sennheiser 650s
*Music Server:* Nano-ITX computer running SlimCD + 750 GByte HDD ->
Netgear wireless router
*Other stuff:* NAD C542 CDP, NAD 6300 Tape, Monster 5100 Power
conditioner, Outlaw Audio cables