graham_alton;328572 Wrote:
> My current thought is the SqueezeCenter doesn't much like Perl 5.10,

My SqueezeCenter is running on Debian Etch (32 bit) and has been happy
for ages.

The perl on it is 5.8. Works great. I would not recommend changing it.
On other machines, I've tried to get perl 5.10, and had a lot of
issues, so I now tend to use the perl that comes with the distro.

Have you tried my number one rule for picking a distro? Rule is: pick
one that a buddy uses who will help for a beer or two.

This rule is far more important than anything else. I personally like
debian over ubuntu for server. I'm typing this message on a laptop with
Ubuntu 8.4, and I have other ubuntu machines. But servers don't need all
the user friendly stuff, and simple Debian has GUI for Synaptic, update
manager and other stuff that most folks depend on.

I would not recommend using either testing or unstable. Not as least
for a rookie. I use them all the time, but I'm a beta tester, and I'm
crazy. Right now, the 7.3 branch is very unstable, so don't go near
it.

Have you tried having apt-get uninstall it all, sprinkle garlic on it,
and start from the tarball?

--
pfarrell

Pat