Mystery Solved...

Ok - I figured out the issue and it is my error.  Since this is the
second Ubuntu server I'm setting up, I downloaded the latest ISO from
their website.  I was under the impression it was the LTS version I had
previously downloaded and missed that the version moved from Gutsy to
Hardy.  After I had installed the system, I copied over the
sources.list from my existing system and proceed to wreck havoc on my
new setup.

I've not gone back to square one and instead edited the sources.list to
add SlimDevices and Webmin.  Updated/Installed...  all is good.  Sorry
to have wasted your time but thanks for trying to help.

Cheers

--
spc337