Thanks for all the ideas.

I am concerned that I will not be able to access an ext3 partition from
the same machine when booting from the xp disc.

At present i have the store disc as an ntfs disc. I am having my usual
problems with premissions.

This system is to replace my linkstation NAS and also to run as a
reserve squeezecenter. (this i have already achieved).

I am using samba with the kubuntu server appearing on the "mshome"
workgroup.

Can someone explain carefully what is the best compromise?

--
mudlark

SB3>CyrusDACX>PreXvs>ESPAudio P09B Active filter>NAP140+260A>Rhapsody,
Avondale and Naim cable, Kubuntu Hardy Heron server, linkstation for
storage.
SB3 Flycatcher 3A linear power supply.
Using SqueezeCentre 7.3 unstable