Just to balance the equation slightly:

I've had this working without any problems for a couple of weeks or
so.

I did however, start from scratch with a fresh install of karmic beta
(now upgraded to rc) mainly to allow an uprade to the new ext4 file
system and a seperate hd for music. At the same time I installed 7.4.0
which I have now upgrade to 7.4.1.

No problems whatsoever database or otherwise - I also use vnc/vinaigre
to remotely manage the server PC from my home PC - this seems to be
better in karmic but maybe I missed it in jaunty.

Karmic also installed on both my wife's PC and my PC - without
problems.

--
ian_heys