If possible, it's even better to take it a step further by making your
OS reside on a completely seperate disc.  This makes OS and machine
upgrages/changes very easy.

This is especially useful if you are running a green 1TB drive.  These
drives are not optimized for speed but for energy usage.  Because of
this, they are better suited as data drives rather than OS drives.

If you do put the OS and data on the same drive, then yes, make the OS
partition as small as you can.  I have my OS (Open SuSE 11.0) running on
an 8GB flash drive and it is only 1/3 full.  I don't have all of the
desktop stuff installed though.  For a server, you don't really need it.

--
maggior

Rich
---------
Setup: 2 SB3s, 3 Booms, 1 duet, 1 receiver.  SuSE 11.0 Server running
SqueezeCenter 7.3.3, MusicIP, and SqueezeSlave.
Current library stats: 30,015 songs, 2,448 albums, 451 artists.
http://www.last.fm/user/maggior
Kraftwerk's "The Catalog", Miles Davis' Amazon exclusive ~70 CD box
set, and U2's "The Unforgettable Fire" box are next in line to burden my
credit card :-).  Too many good releases in a short period of time.