pablolie;496401 Wrote:
> The place to ask should be the Ubuntu Forums, and search for the mobo.
> There are the oddest hardware combos out there. I installed Ubuntu on 2
> 8 year old computers, and the forums helped.
>
> I know this is stating the obvious, but truly comb through the BIOS
> settings to make sure no weird setups have been made (one can configure
> IDE/SATA etc to do the strangest things). Also, get the text-based
> alternate CD, I find it installs more reliably. And it's very odd it
> goes into the install process at *all* if the hardware is so
> misconfigured. Just try it a few times, I have had it happen that I have
> had to give it two or three runs.
>
> If everything fails, grab an eternal USB CD-ROM drive somewhere. :)

Hey, thanks.  I've tried ubuntuforums.org and am waiting on a response.
I've poked around the BIOS and don't see anything obvious.  And I've
tried  going through the install a couple of times.  The BIOS itself
sees the drive, so that's why it can boot, but I guess the installer
needs a driver so that it can proceed and find installation files.

Looks like it may be bug in the server setup that's been around for
several versions.  Some people saying that they run into the bug and on
the same hardware are able to install install Ubuntu desktop with no
problems.  A few responses to the problem say to try the network
install.  I'll give the alternate CD a try first.

--
JJZolx

Jim