> Thanks for all the help, Pat. One last questions (for now). How do I set
> permissions when I'm transferring files over a network from a Windows 7
> machine to the headless Ubuntu server?

It depends, but the best, cleanest way is to install Samba on the Ubuntu
box. It implements standard Windows file sharing (and print sharing) so
your windows users just see it as a standard Share that you can do
standard drag and drop commands.

Samba is actually named "smb" and you can have Synaptic install both the
client and the daemon (smbd) for you automatically. Setup is not too
complex, and I think there are now guis to handle the setup.

You can use the network-Windows style password and username support, and
it will look exactly like any other Windows server.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/