The real question would be why would you pay the extra and use an SSD?
My one and only reason is that HD add to the acoustic noise level. A
smaller but not less important reason would be power consumption.

In my LMS-machine OS sits on the SSD  (Samsung SSD PB22-J MLC), without
swap, and /tmp sitting ram.

  devpts     /dev/pts      devpts defaults                        0       0
  shm        /dev/shm      tmpfs  nodev,nosuid,size=1G            0       0
  none       /tmp          tmpfs  nodev,nosuid,size=2G,mode=1777  0       0

  #LABEL=swap       swap          swap   defaults                            0
  0
  LABEL=root       /             ext4   defaults,noatime,nodiratime,discard 0
1
  LABEL=boot       /boot         ext4   defaults,noatime,nodiratime,discard 0
3
  LABEL=home       /home         ext4   defaults,noatime,nodiratime,discard 0
2

--------------------

The media files are on a RAID5 (HD) based LVM.

I did experiment with the log files on a tmpfs as well but ran in a
number weird boot problems so stopped doing that. Ofcourse
/opt/logitechmediaserver sits on the SSD so DB activity is fast and
noiseless.

The audio files are located on a RAID5 (HD) based lvm set which can
spin-down if not needed.

I would not worry about the SSD. You are not planning to write GBytes
of new data daily (are you?) only once most probably. The SSD most
likely will outlive the economic value of your system.

--
th00ht

Ripping: 'EAC (free and great)' (http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/)
Squeezebox Server 7.7.1 - r33735 / Arch64
Squeezebox Classic, Quad 303 (where can I get new caps?) + two Quad ESL
63
Squeezebox Touch, Denon AVR 1912 (Pure Direct) + two CM8 + two CM1 +
CMC
Squeezebox Radio White
'last.fm' (http://www.last.fm/user/th00ht), 'SoS'
(http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Society_of_Sound/Society_of_Sound/Music/download-manager.html),