What distro are you using now? There are various threads with
instructions for compiling Squeezeplay on *nix -- I had no problem
following one such thread to compile for Ubuntu.

Two more things. First, we've seen your memory situation in post #10,
but what about your CPU? In other words, what else is running on this
machine? The hardware you have is at least 10x what is needed to run LMS
effectively. Second, this is avoiding the problem rather than solving
it, but what about using the infrared remote instead of your computer? I
don't see any place where you have mentioned which model(s) of SB you
have, but except for the Duet Receiver they all support IR remotes.
Moreover, if you get the same kind of lags when using the IR remote that
would also tell us something about the source of the problem.