my bad!

i edited the WRONG hdmi setting

i uncommented the config_hdmi_boost=4 item, which clearly didn't help

in my research i looked at the online info about other options for the
hdmi settings in the config file and used all three of these:

  # ignores edid info
  hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080

  # pretends all audio format are supported by the display, even bitstream
passthrough
  hdmi_force_edid_audio=1

  #normal HDMI mode (sends sound even if it thinks it's dvi)
  hdmi_drive=2

--------------------

I did the ignore edid just to avoid issues there.  And the force_edid
one in the hope that I could bitsream DTS or multi-channel flac from the
LMS.  That doesn't work.  Multi channel flac ends up being two channel
(not clear if it's a downmix but I think it is, does the LMS do that?).
The DTS (which is in a WAV file) was just white noise.

And of course, the hdmi_drive=2 is probably the only thing that really
made a difference.

I was able to play MP3, WAV 44.1/16 which showed up on the receiver as
44.1, FLAC 44.1, 88, and 96 and those showed up correctly too.
Somewhere I have some 192 files but I couldn't recall where.

This is VERY cool.  If it handled multi-channel stuff, that would be
heaven.  I think it's perhaps a limitation of the LMS, and not
specifically of the Pi or this software, but it's hard to know.

Anyway, awesome hack.  Love this software!