JackOfAll wrote:
> Thank you, to everyone who has expressed interest and support. It's
> probably going to be a few weeks until we know the final numbers, lead
> time, final pricing, and how many "beta" boards will be available for
> purchase. At that time, we'll make an announcement, start a list
> allocating the boards, and a waiting list just in case anyone drops
> out.

I guess you are already aware of this and it it's already in the plan,
so I apologize if I'm suggesting something obvious. It would probably be
a good idea to briefly list what kind of stuff you want to be verified
during the hardware beta so you can ensure the beta testers will cover
as much as possible.

As an example, I guess you are going to want some testers who use an
external DAC, some testers who use the internal DAC connected to a
high-end amplifier and some who are going to use the internal DAC
connected to an amplifier in the $500 price range (or maybe even
cheaper). There are probably also other aspects, like testing with LMS
on the Wandboard with a USB drive connected, testing with LMS on a
NAS/computer, testing with IR remote, testing synchronization with other
Squeezeboxes, ....

The above is just samples, I'm not sure everything is relevant to a
hardware beta, for some stuff it might be enough if the tester have a
Wandboard with the default carrier board.

This way it will also be easier for the beta testers who volunteer to
decide if they will be be useful or if it's better if someone else who
is able to do more productive testing takes their place in the queue. As
you have realized, you won't have any problem to get enough beta
testers, the challenge is to pick the right ones so you cover as much as
possible of the stuff which is hard for you, Triode to John to cover
yourselves.

With about 15-20 testers it's going to be important that there are some
variations of how the testers use the board, else the testing isn't
going to be as broad as needed to ensure you cover all angles that needs
to be covered before the second generation board is released.

I'm not sure if you are looking of a broad range of different type of
testers or if you are only looking for testers who can verify the
audiophile characteristics ?

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
You may also want to try my Android apps 'Squeeze Display'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.squeezedisplay)
and 'RSS Photo Show'
(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=info.isaksson.rssphotoshow)
*Interested in the future of music streaming ? 'ickStream -  A world of
music at your fingertips'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98467-Pre-Announcement-ickStream&p=743516)*.