Follow up to my post #541.

I thought that I would attempt to commit my changes to make the wifi
adapter work.  After getting the adapter to connect, I used "sudo
filetools.sh -b" which I assumed would preserve the changes I've made
over reboot.  However on reboot, this was not the case.  There was no
/home/tc/wifi.db produced (if indeed it is required).

Also, I've noticed that consistently the adapter will not respond to the
first wifi.sh scan (show device busy error).  If I set the essid
manually, then run wifi.sh more than once, I can get a network scan and
connect.  Might be something sketchy for the firmware for this
particular adapter.

Looks like the best course of action is to grab one of the working cards
and follow path of least resistance.