Triode wrote:
> I'm happy we go with Ralphy's config file - mine was only a get us
> started with FLIRC version.  That said I do think we need to look for a
> cheap remote which better suits the grid skin and then generate a config
> for it.  The fundamental issue with the grid skin is it really needs
> separate select and back (go and back) buttons from left and right.
> I've been using an old DVD remote, but I think it would be good if we
> could identify a common one which people can obtain for this?  Has
> anyone got any suggestions?

Please don't take this wrongly, I certainly don't mean to belittle the
incredible efforts you have already put into getting Jivelite to where
it is now, but having recently spent some more time using the interface
with FLIRC and  SB3 remote - I can't help but feeling that it needs more
effort to get it working in a usable friendly way.

Having a full keyboard, or perhaps, a remote with (much) more keys works
better - but the limitations of the number/letter keypad is a major
stumbling block.  You can't use the search functionality (as you can't
enter letters) nor can you jump through long lists (to alphabetic

Sure, having control over playback and accessing favourites is very
useful, but it really needs to be more friendly for browsing and finding
music to be of any great value.  As it stands I still need other means
(I mostly use Muso or iPeng) to find the music I want to listen to,
which involves having another device (PC / Phone) available and powered
up, which in my mind defeats one of the main purposes of having Jivelite
there in the first place - I may as well just use the other device.  (I
don't particularly want the have a full keyboard clogging up my front
room, just for this one job).

If these uesabilty 'issues' can be sorted out then FLIRC and a suitable
remote will be an excellent solution, but as it stands now is too
limited.