JackOfAll wrote:
> I tested the 0.2 rpm on F19 and it was fine, working with the system
> avahi. I was concerned when I started reading about multiple mDNS
> back-ends that there might be issues.... I'll run it up on F20 myself,
> tonight.
>
> EDIT: Sorry, missed the title of your post! ;)
>
> EDIT: Are you sure, even using -p to specify port 9002.... ISTR, that
> there were two ports in play for whatever protocol is used by Apple. A
> control port and a "timing" port. Does the "-p 9002" definitely stop it
> trying to use 9003? I don't know.

When we look at which port is advertised via avahi when running from the
command line, I see that it is working as I anticipated (9002)

  =   eth0 IPv4 2029E6B0BD56@Shairport                        AirTunes Remote
Audio local
  hostname = [wandquad.local]
  address = [10.0.1.204]
  port = [9002]
  txt = ["pw=false" "txtvers=1" "vn=3" "sr=44100" "ss=16" "ch=2" "cn=0,1"
"et=0,1" "ek=1" "sm=false" "tp=UDP"]

This is the only port advertised by shairport, but others may be in use
by shairport itself. But shairport can't even get as far as advertising
itself when run from systemd (but it can when run from the command
line).  Therein lies the mystery.

BTW, on F19 I had this whole arrangement stable and running for weeks on
end. I had shairport continually running to the spdif output, and
Squeezelite continually running to the USB audio device. That way, I
could turn the knob on the front of my DAC to select between Airplay
(for the kids) and Squeezebox land (for me).