JackOfAll wrote:
> My first thought...... I'm going to keep it to myself so as not to
> offend you or your friend.
Thank you, appreciate that :-)

Anyway, this might seem stupid to us technical people but for the
regular user this isn't.
Paying attention to such scenarios is key to come to a user friendly
system. This is in my view one of the areas where Logitech has failed
miserably and it is one of the most common remarks from non technical
people.

Hope you don't me laying out how I see these issues (don't want to be
smart but I just want to get the discussion going since I believe it is
rather important):

JackOfAll wrote:

> LMS shouldn't be checking for network connections, IMHO. It is a server
> process. If it is pre-configured to scan at a specific time, far better
> that you make sure that an external drive is powered and available, or
> that the network is connected and the external share is available.

This is one of these areas where one makes a difference when designing
user friendly systems. You can't ask the user to make sure for his
network to be available when LMS decides to scan. A regular user will
have no idea of the impact of a "network not to be available" to the
system at critical times. It is LMS who should check if the "network
resource" is available.
Even I got fooled in this particular situation. I'm pretty comfortable
with computers and networks, yet I missed that this event could occur in
my friend's system (not aware that the switch could be turned off by the
user).

JackOfAll wrote:

> I need to think about this some more. Maybe an enhancement to LMS could
> be that, it checks for the presence of a "DO_NOT_SCAN" file, in the root
> of any folders it is configured to scan, if present, abort the scan.
> Then you create that file on the underlying file system, that your
> external drive/share is going to be mounted to. If the drive/share is
> mounted LMS won't see the file, if it isn't, LMS will.

I don't quite understand what you are trying to say here but I hope you
don't suggest for the user to create such files.
How LMS figures it out is not so important. The importance in my opinion
is not to involve the user in the process.

I guess that in most LMS systems, LMS is aware of the path to the music
library. This is either located under the "Basic Settings" tab in "Media
Folders" or under the "iTunes" tab in iTunes Media Folder.  I pretty
confident there must be an easy way in the code to check if that
particular resource is available. It uses tcp/ip, so why not just "ping"
the server or do I approach it a bit too simplistic?

1 x SB3, 1 x SB Boom, 1 x SB Radio and 2 x SB Touch - all wireless
1 x Wandboard Dual behind the bedroom ceiling
1 x Wandboard Dual for 'msqueeze' (http://www.msqueeze.co.nf/index.html)
project
ReadyNAS NVX running LMS 7.7.3. w iTunes plugin
iPeng 7 on iPhone.
SqueezePad & iPeng 7 on iPad.
http://www.last.fm/user/phibon