JackOfAll wrote:
> I'm a little confused after reading the DirectStream manual.... (Which I
> am assuming is the hardware, from your signature, that you are referring
> to, when you say I2S hdmi adapter.)
>
> "The I2S inputs can handle single and double rate DSD directly or DoP."
>

> OK. And this surprises me, it can handle DoP over the HDMI input.
> But.....
>
> "DirectStream uses an HDMI cable to transfer I2S data. This data can
> only be used with
> another compatible component, such as the PerfectWave transport, and
> will not work in
> other HDMI equipment as the I2S format incorporated does not comply with
> the HDMI
> standards."
>
> So it uses a HDMI cable but isn't HDMI compliant. Have fun with
> this..... ;)

I2S signals where never intended to travel long distance, just a few
inches between IC's. Somehow it has become en-voque to use I2S to
interconnect over longer distances (between e.q. streamer and DAC. To
make that possible the signals are converted from TTL to some form of
LVDS (low-voltage-differential-signaling). UTP and HDMI cables are often
used for the physical connection, but the connection is indeed nowhere
near HDMI. Audio on HDMI is multiplexed with the video signal. Those
that use a HDMI cable for transporting I2S have their own brand specific
pin use and signal levels etc.

You cannot connect the RPI HDMI to a something like a DAC that gets I2S
signals via a HDMI connector.

does the all-black SB sound better than the white SB?