Just an experience I want to share for those that run into the same:

My hardware: RPI 2, HifiBerry AMP+, EDIMAX EW-7811UN Wifi.

For the first several days it played without any hickup but I had it on
wired ethernet. A few days later I removed the network cable and let it
play over Wifi for half an hour before I switched it off. Last Thursday
I started to listen again and all of a sudden, early in the evening the
music started to stutter like mad. I restarted the RPI but no luck. I
mostly stream flac from Qobuz, I tried a lower bitrate, no success,
still stuttering. Mhmm, evening, just after dinner, more traffic from
neighbors? I never had this issue with the Classic, Touch and Boom that
also connect via Wifi. I checked what Wifi networks are in the air from
my neighbors and found that many (8 out of 12), just like me use channel
11. I switched my router/accesspoint to a channel nobody was on and from
then on no stuttering anymore.

Seems like the EDIMAX 7811 (or the driver) is not fully stable when the
channel is crowed. So if you experience stuttering check out your wifi
environment before you start yelling and swearing at PicorePlayer/RPi

does the all-black SB sound better than the white SB?