just in-case this helps anyone... I have switched to running Squeezelite
on 2xRas Pi 2s. I was having random audio drop outs on hdmi which
appeared to be impacting on the sync.
The fix was simple; config_hdmi_boost=4 in the config.txt in the root of
the SDcard.
I'm also using precision time protocol (PTP) on the RPIs to maintain
accurate sync and have LMS running on the master server. PTP appears to
be able to maintain sync down to about 1/100 of a second between
multiple PIs.
PI1 is connected via HDMI to my Onkyo receiver, PI2 is analogue sound
port to lineinput on my win7PC and software mixing audio into the
windows output sounds.

On the master server (both running raspbian);

  $ sudo apt-get install ptpd
  $ sudo vi /etc/default/ptpd
  # /etc/default/ptpd

  # Set to "yes" to actually start ptpd automatically
  START_DAEMON=yes

  # Add command line options for ptpd
  PTPD_OPTS="-b eth0 -h"

--------------------

and then on the clock slaves;

  $ sudo apt-get install ptpd
  $ sudo vi /etc/default/ptpd
  # /etc/default/ptpd

  # Set to "yes" to actually start ptpd automatically
  START_DAEMON=yes

  # Add command line options for ptpd
  PTPD_OPTS="-g -b eth0 -h"

--------------------

and then to install the ptpd service to start at boot time;

  $ sudo insserv ptpd

--------------------

I've have streaming radio running (via an RTMP source using BPAs
excellent xplay plugin using VLC for transcoding) and there hasn't been
a single player sync correction in the last two hours, so I think my
system is finally starting to work it should.
I should be able to improve things further once the two HifiBerry cards
I've ordered arrive and I expect I should be able to drive both the
HifiBerry ALSA output and the HDMI output simultaneously to give me more
audio zones.

I really like the work that Gramofon are doing - (I believe Allplay sync
was finally pushed in the last week), but I like the open source aspect
of the squeezebox architecture which makes everything possible and
removes all restrictions.

Has anyone been in touch with Adrian aka Triode? I hope he is OK - it
would be great to see him on the forums again.