Greg Erskine wrote:

> What audio out are you using?
>
> I don't think the ALSA volume was ever remembered during upgrades? I
> haven't seen any code that would have done this, but it would be nice if
> it happened!!

Greg,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

This happens on my Hifiberry DAC+ boxes. I had set the volume in
alsamixer to 86 (0 dBFS). After upgrading to 1.19k, it was at 50 (-14
dBFS). I set it back to 86 (I made some other change in the web GUI as
well, hoping that picoreplayer would make the volume setting
persistent). After rebooting, the volume is back at 50.

Instead, on my RPi's which use HDMI out, the upgrade triggered the ALSA
volume being set back to 100. That's also not ideal, as that means
playback is above 0 dBFS. This may give rise to clipping.

> Another option is the -U option for squeezelite.
>
> regards
> Greg
Great suggestion, thanks. I wasn't aware of this flag and will try to go
with that in the future.