I use only 2. preamp not to damper with the bit depth of the stream
Might investigate 4. ALSA to play with the balance on one of my systems
where the speakers are oddly placed and I don't have another balance
option
Charles

> Personally I use 1 and 2 (4 is often set to 0db or 100%).
>
> Any additions or comments?
>
> regards
> Greg

SPK: Triangle Magellan Quatuor - PRE: Emotiva XSP-1 Gen2 - AMPS: 4 x
Emotiva XPA-1 Gen2 - SOURCE: Raspberry Pi 2B with Picoreplayer - DAC :
PS Audio DirectStream