Greg Erskine wrote:
> Good news, SamS, fingers crossed, but I would like to know why you need
> to change your buffer and I don't :confused:

LOL. Greg, you really don't want to go there! I can give one example
where disk io, (especially on the Pi compared to other "similar" ARM
hardware), whereby using a lower speed (class) sdcard, requires
increasing buffer to a USB DAC, (doubling the settings I posted
earlier), to stay glitch free. May not be quite so much of an issue with
pico, but on my full-blown Fedora images which are writing to SDCARD a
lot more, (systemd journald and app logging while developing), and CPU
spending a lot of time in wait, waiting for IO to complete, it's most
definitely an issue, and without increasing buffer, a train wreck.

I'd expect to get booed out of the thread, on the basis it's about a
software image that runs on Pi's, so I'll be careful how I put this, but
it wouldn't be too hard for me to suggest that anyone wanting to end up
with what I'd classify as a HQ audio music player, based on a USB
platform (and regardless of the DAC it's feeding), should stay the hell
away from the Pi. Gordon's FIQ work and P33M's complete re-write of the
USB driver, don't completely paper over the cracks.

Other people have dropped breadcrumbs...... Take the P33M patch above.
Here's a quote from P33M when he was discussing Pi handling of ISO
transfers....

"To elaborate, support for USB1.1 Isochronous on Raspberry Pi has been
troublesome due to limitations with the hardware on BCM2835. It's not a
conventional USB host. In fact word from the original IP implementors is
that it was never intended to be used in this fashion, so Raspberry Pi
are basically "on their own" as far as support is concerned."

The grief/quirkiness with ARM USB implementations has recently seen me
walking away from ARM (and using Bay Trail Intel NUC's) as the head unit
for a high-end USB DAC I've been working on. (Another project that may
or may not see the commercial light of day.)