Hi everyone,

I'd like to report that I'm pretty sure my horrible occasional hiss
issue has been fixed-

It was apparently being caused by the usb cable I was using. I tried a
few other cables without issue. When I tried the problem cable w/ a
laptop running JRiver straight into my dac (Marantz SA8005), the PC
didn't even "see" the dac!

I tested shell to shell continuity of all the cables and the problem
cable (an expensive "audiophile" brand that is the bees knees in many
people's systems) was the only one that did not have continuity.

At this point I consider my problem solved and it seems now to have
nothing to do w/ the Pi or piCorePlayer!

Thanks to everyone who tried to help and thanks to those behind this
great software!

-Mike