esa wrote:
> Dear,
>
> I have two Raspberry Pi 1 Model B (26 PIN GPIO).
> I prefer to use these old version as a Squeeze player.
>
> The only card compatible with Rpi 1 is the Wolfson Audio Card (Model 1)
> available at Farnell
> (https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberry-pi-accessories/wolfson_pi)
> and Reichelt.
>
> PRO for the wolson : there is two type of output : Analog (but I don't
> like jack connection) and Digital. I will use analog output.
>
> I don't care about quality of the sound because it will be used for my
> bedroom and bathroom at low level of sound.
>
> The question is about the volume control.
>
> I use an application on Android (SqueezeCommander) to control the LMS
> functionalities and also the volume of the player.
>
> Question 1 : Which type of volume control exists ? I read about hardware
> command (I suppose through I2C PIN) that is ALSA compatible (and in this
> case I suppose compatible with all application on LINUX). Correct?
> The other control  possibility. I don't understand how it works for
> PCM5102. I don't understand if volume control is possible in LMS
> interface. Can you clarify this point unclear for me?
>
> Question 2 : for The Wolson card Version 1 (For RPi1 B). It uses another
> CHIP WM5102.
> Is it possible to control the volume and which type of volume it is?
> I read some difficulties to setup the card (Kernel Driver in 2014). Is
> it always the case?
>
> In other words, if I buy two Wolson card for my old Rpi1 B, is it a good
> idea ? Or is it better to buy new Rpi2 and card based on PCM5122 ?
>
> Thank
Hi.
Sorry but I would stay away from the Wolfson card, it is not well
supported as the company somehow did not manage to get their drivers
included in the kernel.

so in short you will be unable to use it with piCorePlayer, and I think
you will have a hard time getting it to work in a recent kernel.
I think you can find other cards that you can use with a rpi B

piCorePlayer a small player for the Raspberry Pi in RAM.
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

*Please 'donate'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=U7JHY5WYHCNRU&lc=GB&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donateCC_LG%2egif%3aNonHosted)
if you like the piCorePlayer*