Squeezed_Rotel wrote:
> Hello, when I try to do a backup from the main page, I get this:

  >   > [ INFO ] Backing up files to
/mnt/mmcblk0p2/tce/mydata.tgz/-\|/-\|
--------------------

kolossos4730 wrote:
> I noticed the same warning when I did a backup with 'pcp bu' from the
> command line.

Hi Squeezed_Rotel and kolossos4730,

It is my understanding that the piCore backup command is really only
intended to store configuration files. It shouldn't contain static
files. So the backup should be quite small. Usually piCorePlayer has a
backup is about 130K, so we put a warning if it exceeds 200k. Too small
maybe, if you load all the available add-ons?

While piCorePlayer doesn't follow the piCore convention atm, some where
along the line it will be changed and the backup will get even smaller.

Why are we concerned about the size of the backup file? There are
occasions during the boot up process where a backup occurs. If your
backup is large it will, at best, just slow down the boot process, but
if the size is excessive it will cause the boot procedure to fail due to
timing issues.

Generally, with piCore/piCorePayer the backup process is probably the
only time something gets written to the SD card, so speed of the card
can be an issue. We have heard of one occasion where the backup was
taking over 1 minute, I think 1 or 2 seconds is normal. This really
caused the user a lot of problems that we didn't foresee.

If you guys could look at what is in your backup and lets us know if it
is just normal stuff, or have you been adding stuff to your home
directory?

In [Beta] mode, click on [Diagnostics ]and scroll down to "[ INFO ]
Backup mydata".

regards
Greg