While I'm very happy with my piCorePlayer devices, I'm wondering if
there is a way to enable people to configure the Wifi settings without
first connecting via an Ethernet cable.

This would still likely require to connect some display and keyboard
(unless one has the official touchscreen or some other supported
alternative) to enter the required information, and would require to
have a supported wifi adapter (such as the official pi one or the one
included in the pi3), but it would allow to establish a connection to
the webserver without this extra step.

If it is too complex to enable this feature right after loading an image
on the SD card, having the ability to change the wifi settings from an
already configured piCorePlayer would also be good (maybe via jivelite),
as it would simplify the use of this great solution in multiple
locations