I would agree with you, but I'd be guessing as to what the exact cause
is. I've seen devices behave like this before, and it's very much
device-specific. Unless you can show that Alsa is kicking off a stream
and sending garbage I would definitely think it's the DAC driver.

As a general comment I might look at jackd as a way of insulation
against hot plug or live sound device changes. It should be able to
provide a virtual default sound output path that you can then redirect
to whatever physical audio output eventually becomes ready.

However, kicking off squeezelite from udev might also be pretty
effective and would potentially support multiple independent audio
outputs at the same time, assuming the UI could cope with this.

--
Hardware: 3x Touch, 1x Radio, 2x Receivers, 1 HP Microserver NAS with
Debian+LMS 7.9.0