MikeDaPsych wrote:
> Sergiu,
>
> Many thanks for a superb response. I followed your instructions and
> managed to get shairport-sync working :D BUT:
>
> 1) I can direct shairport audio through the ALSA equaliser by changing
> the following line in the config file:
>
> output_device = "equal";
>
> This *only* works if the shairport-sync process is run from root.
> Running as the tc user produces no audio output.
>
> Setting the output_device to my USB DAC (sysdefault:CARD=VX1), I can run
> shairport-sync as the tc user and get audio output. Strange...
>
> 2) How can I get the default invocation of shairport-sync to use the
> config file exclusively rather than setting parameters on the command
> line?
>
> Restarting shairport-sync via the webgui, the cmdline looks like:
>
> /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync -a HiPi -o alsa -S soxr -d -D -R
> --metadata-pipename=/tmp/shairport-sync-metadata --get-coverart -- -d
> $USBOUTPUT
>
> which produces no audio as the output device is incorrect.
>
> To get audio, I just use a plain /usr/local/sbin/shairport-sync with no
> cmdine arguments (since they come from the config file!!)
>
> Can I edit the default shairport-sync invocation cmdline anywhere?
>
> Many thanks for your help,
>
> Mike

Hi Mike,

I am glad it helped. Indeed, the command line params supersede the
config file. That means, your output setting in the config file does not
caout if you run it with the script provided per default.
Ralphy was kind enough to compile the latest version of the
shairport-sync, i.e. 3.20, however he did not manage yet to switch to a
complete config-based shairport-sync installation. I was asking him also
if possible to remove all command line params and introduce the config
file by default. I guess this will be there in the near future. In the
meanwhile, what you can do is create somewhere a start script which just
starts shairport-sync as a daemon, with no other params (caution, I am
talking about the shairport-sync executable, not the script under
/usr/local/etc/init.d). Secure this script by adding it's filename in
the /opt/.filetool.sh and running -sudo filetool.sh -b- afterwards.
Ensure that at startup, the previous shairport-sync is killed and your
script is launched. You can do so by adding a command to kill it -sudo
shairport-sync -k- and a commandline to launch your script under
-/opt/bootlocal.sh-. And then, of course, the magic incantation: -sudo
filetool.sh -b-.

I have to say that I have tried this myself with previous versions of
piCorePlayer, where I added -shairport- manually, as it was not there.
It should work thoug, as this is still a standard mechanism.

I hope this helps,

Sergiu

PS: @Ralphy: Can you please simply remove the command line params
(except the daemon one) from the start script and include the file that
Ihave shared? Thanks a lot in advance!